Condor 3-day Assault Pack Review
Whether you are a survivalist, an avid outdoorsman or a casual camper, a good bag is a critical component of your gear. Although, choosing the right bag for camping or survival mission can be quite challenging. There are hundreds of makes and models of the so-called ‘assault backpacks' on the market.
Most of them seem to be merely designed to have the look of a great camping bag, but when it comes to the actual functionality, they fall flat.
One of the most common complaints that I hear from people is how their backpacks are ill-fitting or too bulky or simply uncomfortable to carry. It is such a downer that many people can't enjoy even the most mesmerizing trek just because they chose a wrong bag. That being said, there are some great products out there as well and as always, we will make sure you find them!
Today, I will be reviewing one of my personal favorite camping/survival bags, the Condor 3 Assault Backpack. As an avid outdoorsman myself, I have used many backpacks over the years, but there are certain things about this bag that make it stand out.
Table of Contents
Condor 3 Day Assault Pack Review
Let’s take a closer look at some the great features that make the Condor 3 Assault Backpack one of the best in its class.
Condor is a trusted and very well respected name when it comes to survival and camping gear. What I love about their products is the fact that they are designed keeping functionality in mind. They have years of experience designing quality equipment, and it shows in the design and features of this great backpack. The attention to detail and the thought process that went into creating this bag is immaculate. Let's take a look at some of these features:
The Storage Compartments
When it comes to a backpack designed as a survival or camping gear, the design is very crucial. The challenge is to have a backpack that can accommodate everything that you would want and still be comfortable. This is one area where the Condor 3 excels. With as many as seven compartments, this backpack can store literally anything that you can throw at it.
- The main compartment is one of the best-designed compartments that I have seen in any backpack. It has a double zipper that opens the entire compartment right up. Once you open the zipper, you can completely lay the bag flat and get all your gear in the bag is a quick and easy. The main compartment has a space of about 40L which is a great capacity for a bug out bag. I also love the way this compartment is organized. Some pockets and straps allow you to hold all your stuff and keep it in place. There are four compression straps in the bottom main compartment that secure your stuff in so that it stays put when you carry the backpack around. There is plenty of space for all your clothes, sleeping bag, a jacket and any other small gear that you might want to carry.
- The front compartment also has six rows of MOLLE webbing that is great to attack all sorts of things. Another great design feature is that between the first three MOLLE webbing strips, there are velcro straps that can be used to attach identification or other tactical patches.
- Below the front compartment, there is an additional 3L compartment that opens wide with a double zipper. This is a great compartment for carrying tactical gear and other stuff that you might need without having to open the main compartment.
- Finally, two side pockets on each side can hold a one-liter bottle quickly. As these pockets are easy to access and open, they are perfect for storing water bottles, rain gear or even a water purifier kit. The front of these pockets also has MOLLE straps to attach additional gear.
So, this bag has plenty of space and a great design, but what about comfort? On camping missions, you will end up carrying a bag for hours without a break and the comfort becomes crucial. Well, people at Condor have thought that as well.
- The shoulder straps are almost 3.5 inches wide and have a thick padding. The extra wide shoulder pads along with the added padding prevent the straps from cutting into your shoulders even if you have the bag packed to the brim. Not only that, these straps have additional vertical MOLLE webbing and D-rings so that you can clip on some gear such as a flashlight conveniently. These straps are designed with a contour so that they move away from your body as they run along.
- The bag also has a sternum strap attached to the shoulder straps that helps to distribute the weight and prevent the shoulder straps from shifting around. The unique feature of the sternum strap on this bag is that it is not only adjustable from side to side but top to bottom as well. This feature comes real handy to adjust the pack according to your height.
- It also has strategically placed padded areas in the back that will allow the load to be redistributed every and allow the air to flow between your back and the backpack. This provides an excellent lumbar support and keeps your back dry even after a prolonged usage.
Another thing that is great about this backpack is construction material. The bag is made from 1000-Denier nylon that is water and wear resistant. This shell material allows the bag to be sturdy, durable and yet lightweight. The overall construction is impeccable. The double stitching lining all the compartment is very sturdy and can handle almost any situation without a doubt.
The zippers are high quality and have water guards that will prevent water from entering your compartments. The shoulder straps are double stitched and are very sturdy. This bag will not tear or scratch even after the roughest usage.
The Condor 3 assault pack is a versatile backpack as well. It is available in a variety of colors and can be used for almost any purpose. The bag comes in five colors including Multicam. So, no matter whether you want to blend in the surroundings or stand out, the bag has you covered! The MOLLE strapping is also quite handy in personalizing and attaching additional gear to the bag. It can be transformed into a tactical backpack that can be used for almost any purpose with ease.
The multiple compression straps make the bag very stable, and the contents don't shift around.
Pros of the Condor 3-day Assault Pack
- Awesome design: The backpack is impeccably designed and is one of the most recognized backpacks out in the market.
- Multiple Compartments: The backpack has as many as seven compartments that can accommodate almost everything that you want to carry on a 3-day mission.
- Great Support: The shoulder straps are designed to distribute the weight evenly. The thick padding, sternum straps, and compression belts make it one of the most comfortable backpacks to carry around.
- Durable materials: The backpack uses one of the highest grade nylon material that makes it durable and sturdy.
- MOLLE ready: The bag has plenty of MOLLE straps that make it easy to customize and personalize.
- Available in Multiple Colors: The bag is available in as many as five colors that you can choose from.
- Very affordable: Given some excellent features, at the price point, it is an absolute steal!
Cons of the Condor 3-day Assault Backpack
- Zipper tabs: Although this is a minor issue, the pull tabs on the zippers can come off easily. I would suggest you to use a 550 cord to make your tabs.
- Zipper flaps: The flaps that cover the zipper can get in the way while closing the zipper, especially if you are in a hurry.
- Flimsy organization pockets: Although I loved the organization pockets, they are made from a lower quality mesh that can tear easily. Although it is not a deal breaker as for most people, these pockets will be empty away.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who is this bag for?
- Can it fit a 17-inch laptop?
- Does it have enough space for a 3-day track?
- Does this backpack have an internal frame?
- Do the straps have MOLLE webbing?
Well, this is first and foremost a camping/survival backpack. However, you can use it daily to carry your stuff to school or office as well. The multiple compartments make it incredibly easy to organize. If you keen the weight in check, you can even use it as a carry-on bag on an airplane!
Easily! The main compartment is big enough to fit a laptop of any size.
It has enough room for a 3-day camping trip. You can carry almost everything that you will need in the spacious compartments with no problem whatsoever.
No, the backpack does not have an internal frame. However, it had a sternal strap and various compression belts that make up for the lack of an internal frame. You can quickly load upwards of 20 pounds of gear with no problem and carry it around comfortably.
Both the shoulder straps have vertical MOLLE straps so that you can attach tactical equipment to them. However, the waist strap does not have a MOLLE webbing, although there are plenty of MOLLE webbings on the front and sides of the backpack.
The Condor 3-Day Assault Pack is one of the best camping/survival backpack that you can buy, period. It is sturdy, made from high-grade materials and is designed perfectly. With so many storage options, it is any backpacker's dream. If you are looking for a great backpack that is comfortable, organized and sturdy, look no further!
Whether you are camping out for fun or are a serious survivalist, this backpack will not disappoint you. We hope that this Condor 3-day Assault Pack review will help you choose the best backpack that you have ever bought. See you out there!